Thursday, December 20, 2012

Cooking With Wine

Wow! It's been a while since I've been able to get on here! Finals, now the holidays. Madness!

Well, here's another question I get all the time; "I need a wine to cook with. All it says is a dry white wine, what should I use?"

Well, honestly, in my opinion, any dry white will do. Most of the time I steer people toward a chardonnay or a pinot grigio. You really don't need an expensive wine if you are cooking with it. If you are going to drink it, well, then I would say go for a little more, but otherwise the $4.99 bottle on the bottom shelf should suffice. The alcohol cooks off so you don't have to worry about that.
I am going to try the difference in recipe taste between an oaked chardonnay and an unoaked one. I tend not to like the "oaky" flavor too much.

If your recipe calls for a dry red, cabernet sauvignon is where I will be sending you. But really, any one will do. Again, not necessary to have an expensive one unless you will be sipping along with your cooking.

Now when I say you can cook with almost any wine, I am referring to the dryer ones, I doubt a sweet wine will go well in your sauce. But who knows, somewhere out there is probably a recipe that calls for a sweet wine like moscato. If you find one, let me know, I'd definitely try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment