Sunday, December 2, 2012

Wine As A Gift

Well, here come the holidays. Along with that comes tons of customers wanting to buy wine as a gift for people. Honestly, that is one of the hardest things to buy for people in my opinion. Unless you know they like  something specific, like a particular brand, I wouldn't suggest wine as a gift. Wine is a personal thing in my opinion.

If you know they like something like horses, you could probably locate bottles of wine with "horse themes" to tie into their hobby or their passion. I plan on getting my step daughter a couple bottles of a wine we have that have flip flops on them because she loves flip flops. Not necessarily because I know she'll like the wine, but she might like the labels and it fits in with her "passion", if you can have passion for flip flops.

People are loyal to certain ones, not to mention what you may like, they may not like, everyone's tastes are different. I have people come in wanting to buy a bottle as a gift. When you ask them what the recipient likes, their answer usually is "I don't know". Or when you ask how much they want to spend, the answer is "I don't want to look cheap".

Here's my suggestion; buy a relatively "cheap" bottle of wine, but one with a good reputation and buy a gift card for whatever amount you were going to spend. Put the bottle in a nice bag and attach the gift card. This way the recipient has something to open, not just an impersonal gift card. Plus, they could try that bottle of wine, giving them the opportunity to try something they may not have had before. Then they take the gift card and buy what they really want.

No comments:

Post a Comment