Saturday, November 17, 2012

Beaujolais Nouveau!

It's here it's here! The new Beaujolais Nouveau! Woohoo!

At least that's how people act.

Beaujolais Nouveau is basically the first release of the grape for any particular year. It's young and has just barely fermented to wine from grape juice.

Well, just for giggles, I bought a bottle. We aren't allowed to put it on the shelves until the third Thursday of November, so I put up the display yesterday. Such a big deal is made about this wine, I had to get one to see what the hubbub was all about. Well, I gotta say, I was completely...

UNimpressed. It had a nice smell, very enticing. Unfortunately for me, the first sip of this drink fell flat for me. It was, well, flat. No structure that I could find and did nothing for me. Too young, too green. I had it slightly chilled, I think it could have been chilled a little more. There are very little tannins and it is very light, which I did like, but really, I don't see what all the hype was about.

I'm thinking maybe if I pair it with some chocolate or a nice piece of cheese it might make it easier to drink for me. Ah well, I tried it. I'll continue to drink it and experiment until the bottle is gone, maybe I can find what it is that everyone rants and raves about.

Pretty bottle though.


No comments:

Post a Comment