Thursday, November 15, 2012

Light Bodied Wines?

I think I prefer lighter bodied wines.I haven't quite found a heavier bodied wine that tickles my fancy yet. The body of a wine basically refers to how "heavy" it feels in your mouth.

Some of the more lighter bodied wines out there are Chenin Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, White Zinfandel, White Merlot, Rose, Gamay (Beaujolais) and Pinot Noir.
Most whites are lighter bodied. Chardonnay can go either way, light to medium bodied, depending on where it's from. A lighter bodied Chardonnay would most likely be an unoaked one.

I thoroughly enjoyed that Beringer Chenin Blanc, and the German Riesling, the Spatlese, both lighter bodied wines, and I can handle a Pinot Noir. I am definitely going to pick up a Beaujolais one of these days.

Lighter bodied wines go well with fruits, salads, chicken and fish and of course, cheese! There's more to the whole food pairing thing, we'll leave that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment